Saturday 14 June 2008

Red lorry, yellow lorry, red lorry, yellow lorry.


Here is a fun link to a website claiming to be the world's largest collection of tongue twisters, containing 2755 entries in 108 languages.

There are 406 English ones, many of which I've never heard before, and (only) four Scottish ones.

The Scottish ones are, of course:

It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht.
It's a lovely moonlight night to-night. (I remember, with my friend, teaching that one to a waiter in Turkey. I wonder if he can still say it.)

Lang may your lum reek!
Long may your chimney smoke!

Mony a mickle maks a muckle.
Many a penny makes a pound., a kind of injunction to patience.

My mum taught us a politer version of the following! It had "gey" (which rhymes with the "i" in "right") instead of "damn":

Here's tae us!
Wha's like us?
Damn few,
an they're a' deid.
Here's to us! Who's like us? Damn few and they are all dead.

My dad taught us another:

Says he tae me, "Is that you?"
Says I, "Who?"
Says he, "You."
Says I, "Me?."
Says he, "Aye."
Says I, "Naw."
Says he, "Aw! Well, it's awfy like you".

The speed he said it at amazed my brother and myself. Dads are heroes to their kids for this sort of thing, of course.

3 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

"Dads are heroes to their kids for this sort of thing, of course."

Yes, isn't that true.

Tomorrow is Father's Day here in the States. Do you have that holiday as well?

Anonymous said...

Annedroid - have you been drinking tonight??

AnneDroid said...

Ruth, yes, here too. Him Indoors bought HIMSELF a big gigantic bar of chocolate that says "World's Greatest Dad" on the packaging, but in fairness to him he's planning to use it for a children's talk at church tomorrow! (We seem to have Mother's Day on a different day from you, though).

Graham, yes indeed, a wee bit. However, I wrote that post in the afternoon.