Monday 20 October 2008

Oh me of little faith!

Naked Pastor says, on 9th October, "I personally don’t believe in an intervening God… a God that shows up when we need him and disappears when we don’t. I believe in miracle in the sense that everything is miracle, that God is so interwoven in our world and life that it is all miraculous. The very special times when we conclude God has intervened are actually moments when our blinders have been taken off and we see what has always been. What we call a “miracle” is actually, in my opinion, an intersection of God’s constant activity and our comprehension of it".

I think that's a great quote. A REALLY great quote. One of my biggest problems, and I think I'm probably not alone, is that I'm looking at God through the wrong end of the telescope, trying subconsciously to reduce Him to a little pocket elf that I can keep handy for when I need something done. This quote reminds me that He's way way bigger than I can possibly imagine and He's in charge. This is of course actually a great relief, especially after today, when I've spent time today with two prisoners, one in each jail, whose problems are overwhelming. And more worryingly still I've realised yet again how many prisoners there are whom I've barely spoken to at all. I'm unable to fix any of them but I "know a 'man' who can"...

Btw, I got the picture at the start of this post here. It made me smile. I'm such an incredible cynic by nature - terribly so - that I've wondered many many times how God EVER managed to cause me to have faith. I'm SO not naturally religious. I love how the man walking through this amazing miracle is thinking "fluke" and I love it because deep down I fear that's exactly what I would have been thinking.

"Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:24.

5 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

"The very special times when we conclude God has intervened are actually moments when our blinders have been taken off and we see what has always been. What we call a “miracle” is actually, in my opinion, an intersection of God’s constant activity and our comprehension of it"."

I really like that.

Anonymous said...

Every word just sooo true. Well said, A-D. That chap in the picture is sooo like one or two of my little thoughts from time to time. (Shame on me!) Must borrow the pic some time!

Caroline said...

It does me such good to hear you are a cynic, me too, I have a voice in my head that questions my faith all of the time and somehow it is not a choice to believe in something more, I just do in spite of my dissenting brain. I get what you say about the prisoners too, I have clients I never meet personally, frightening and sad in equal parts but "whats for you does not pass you by" and I (have to) believe that the person who is meant to help arrives at the right time for each person in life and, despite my collosal ego, sometimes it isn't me! I admire you so much, I wish I had faith like yours

Elaine said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog. Here I am on yours - and I shall continue to visit.

My biggest problem with my faith is lack of concentration. How can I sit in Church and, in the middle of a prayer, find myself thinking of lunch? I keep praying for the ability to concentrate, but I think that the answer to that prayer is in my own hands.

AnneDroid said...

Elaine, I too have a very limited concentration sp.. oh look there's a bird!

Caroline, I like both bits of your comment a lot - the idea that believing becomes almost beyond a matter of choice. I agree and find that comforting actually. I'm also comforted and amused in equal measure by what you say about, in spite of our colossal egos it's not up to us to be "the one" for everyone - too true! Thankfully!

Dickiebo, I knew you were a kindred spirit the moment I met you. Well I've never met you, but you know what I mean.

Ruth - it's a really fab quote, isn't it?